Halloween is one of those holidays, much like St. Patrick’s Day, where the safety of the public is a major concern. There’s more emphasis on Halloween simply due to the amount of children out at night, often without adult supervision. Myers Services Incorporated (MSI), located in Chicago, wants you, and your loved ones to enjoy a safe and happy Halloween. We’ve compiled a short list of safety guidelines for children and adults, plus tips on how to keep your property safe from those naughty “tricksters.” When in doubt, common sense is always your best guide:
If it looks too good to be true, chances are it’s not true.
Halloween is not the night to place your trust in people you don’t know.
If something seem suspicious or out of the ordinary, contact local police.
Have a safe and happy Halloween, but please exercise caution.
· Pedestrians are 4.5 times more likely to be killed on Halloween than any other night
o Have your child wear a reflective costume
o Have them walk from house to house with masks off
o Give your child a flashlight or glow sticks
· Know your child’s route
· Check costumes from head to toe to ensure their safety. Make sure fake knives, guns, swords, etc. don’t have any sharp edges and cannot be mistaken for the real thing
· Remind children not to enter a stranger’s home or car
· Set rules about not eating treats until kids get home
· Inspect all candy prior to allowing your child to eat, especially homemade ones
o If in doubt, throw it out
· Don’t cross the street between parked cars and remember drivers have a hard time seeing at dusk
· Have children report any suspicious activity to police
· Plan a safe way home before the night begins.
· Prior to drinking, designate driver.
· If you’re impaired, call for a taxi, friend, or use public transportation.
For Your Property
· Keep flammables away from the front door
· Illuminate your home, yard, and all walkways
· Use a security camera if you own one
· Consider installing a motion detector near the front door
· Remove hazardous objects from your yard and walkway
Since 1959 Myers Service, Inc., d/b/a MSI Detective Services, has provided individuals, corporations, attorneys, and insurance companies with discreet, professional, and reliable investigations. MSI conducts investigations in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin, and is Accredited with the Better Business Bureau, carrying an A+ rating. To request more information, email MSI, or call us toll-free: 888-338-4545