Protection 1 offers tips to protect yourself from fraudulent security company employees.
* You do not have to let them into your home.
* Ask for — and closely inspect — their credentials and identification.
* Ask for proof of a city-provided neighborhood solicitation permit.
* Ask if the company is local, regional, or national and where they are based.
* Do not be misled by false police reports.
* If you are presented with a contract, verify the company name and address by calling Protection 1 or the company mentioned immediately.
* Do not be pressured into signing a contract — remember your FTC “right to cancel” a contract within 72 hours if it is signed at your home.